Homemade salsa made in a food processor in under 5 minutes! This salsa is a family favorite and so easy!
Easy homemade red salsa
I could eat chips and salsa for dinner. And lunch for that matter. We are big fans at our house. Is there anyone that doesn’t like chips and salsa?! My daughter is a huge fan and has been since she was little. It’s her favorite! Mine too! This corn salsa is another favorite of ours!
Ingredients for quick homemade red salsa:
- diced tomatoes
- diced tomatoes with green chilies
Can I use a blender for this recipe?
Yes. I really like the texture better when using a food processor but you can also use a blender.
Can I use green onions in place of the onion?
Yep. You can even add them at the end so they are not as chopped up. Whatever you prefer. I like the onion blended in with the tomatoes best.
Do I have to add honey or sugar?
No. You can leave out. The little sweetness does make it taste good though!
Can I leave out the jalapeños?
Yes. You can even use jalapeños from a jar if you have those. Just add to taste. If you are using the original Rotel tomatoes with green chilies, it will already have a nice kick to it. So add to taste. We like it a little spicy around our house!
Check out these recipes!
- Slow Cooker Pork Tacos (these have a fresh corn salsa on them, yum!)
- Fried Ice Cream (this is such a fun and yummy dessert)
- Corn Salsa (This has Italian dressing giving it such great flavor!)
- Quinoa Tacos (a delicious meatless dinner)
This salsa is so quick and easy! You will never want to buy salsa again after you make this. Your family will love it!
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes,
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Original for more heat, mild if you don't like spice. I use Rotel brand)
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or 3 cloves)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (stems removed)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded (optional, add if you want more heat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar (optional)
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- juice from half a lime, or to taste
You can drain the cans of tomatoes if you like a thicker salsa. If not, add in the juice. I usually drain about half of the liquid. In a food processor add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, salt, honey and cumin. Blend or pulse till to desired consistency. 30 to 40 pulses for a smoother salsa. Less for chunkier salsa.
Let the salsa chill in the fridge. Serve cold and store in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days.