A savory overnight breakfast casserole that will feed a crowd and is easy to throw together. This overnight omelet is made up of buttered bread, Monterey Jack cheese and eggs. Simple and delicious. This is a perfect dish for a weekend or for when you have company!
I am all about a breakfast recipe that you make the night before. I mean, what is better than just popping something into the oven in the morning. All the work is done. And all you have to do is wait for it to bake! Seriously, the best. The problem is, I love bread pudding aka baked french toast casserole. But often times, my family would prefer something savory instead of something sweet. I know! I don’t get it. Anyways, this casserole or “omelet” is here to save the day. It’s basically a cheese based french toast casserole! I used monterey jack cheese and it was a total win at our house!
I love to use fresh cracked pepper. So thats what I used in this recipe. You can see the nice size pepper bits mixed in with the cheese. Yummmmm.
The Monterey Jack cheese was perfect! We love it. It melts so well and has a great flavor. But really any cheese you like you could use!
I was snapping pictures and my little Gus wanted more food 🙂
How to make a savory bread pudding
So in stead of adding a sweet crumble topping. You add lots of cheese layers. Well, 2 layers 😉
- Butter one side of the bread. Make sure you use a nice, heavy, white sandwich bread. Pepperidge Farm hearty white works great and is what I used.
- Cut up the bread into 1″ cubes and spread half of them in a 9×13″ pan.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese on top. Then top with remaining bread cubes and cheese.
- Whip up the eggs, add the milk and seasonings and pour over the bread and cheese.
- Press down lightly so the bread is submerged.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake in the morning and enjoy!
The buttered bread is soaked overnight in a milk and egg mixture. The onion powder and dry mustard add just the right flavor.
The bread soaks in the moisture so you almost won’t even realize there is bread in the dish. It has a great texture and flavor.
This recipe is the perfect overnight savory breakfast!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 slices pepperidge farm hearty white bread (or a firm white sandwich bread)
- 3 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (12 ounces)
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Grease a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray or butter and set aside.
Spread the 3 tablespoons of butter onto one side of the bread slices. Then cut the bread into 1" cubes.
Place half of the brad cubes into the dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Add the remaining bread cubes and then top with the rest of the cheese.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, onion powder, salt, pepper, mustard and cayenne pepper. Pour over the brad and lightly press down to submerge.
Cover the dish and refrigerate for 8 hours or up to 36 hours. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 55 min. to 1 hour or until puffed and golden brown.
Source: adapted from ATK Family Cookbook (given to me as a wedding gift from my sweet friend Linda S. who is a wonderful cook!)