Fresh peach pie is a must make during peach season. Fresh peaches are layered in a bake pie shell, then topped with a homemade peach glaze. A family favorite!
Fresh Peach Pie
Our sweet Nana (my husband’s Grandmother)…passed away this April. It was pretty sudden and we miss her terribly. She was the best cook and was always making yummy food for her family. Every Sunday she would have a new treat waiting for us when we came to visit. There were so many recipes she was famous for. She also loved trying new recipes she would see on Instagram or Pinterest. She was not your typical Nana! She was so with it and up to date on all the things. She was also the most supportive Nana there ever was! She would come to all of our kids games and recitals. Cheering them on and happy to be there. She was simply the best. We love our Nana!
Fresh Peach Pie Ingredients:
- 9″ bake pie shell
- Peeled & sliced peaches
- Mashed peach
- Lemon Juice
How to make a fresh peach pie:
- Bake a pie crust and let it cool. Can be homemade or a store-bought from the freezer section
- Peel and slice the peaches and set aside.
- Mash up a few peaches to get 1 cup and add to a pot not he stove. Add the water and cook for 4 minutest. Add the sugar and cornstarch and cook till it’s clear. Remove from heat and add the lemon, butter and salt. Set aside to cool
- Layer the sliced peaches in the cooked pie shell and pour the glaze over the top. Chill in the fridge and serve with whipped cream or ice cream. It is also delicious by itself!
Should I use a homemade pie crust or a frozen one from the store?
-Totally up to you! I make a homemade one from our Nana’s cookbook and I listed it in the recipe. (it wasn’t that pretty, I need to work on my pie crust skills! haha but it tasted great :). You could make it simple by using a frozen pie crust from the store. Here is a great blog post on pie crust by A Bountiful Kitchen! I can’t wait to refer to this at Thanksgiving and get better at homemade pies 🙂
Other favorite peach recipes!
- Fresh Peach Dessert (another family favorite!)
- Peach Scones (I just love scones)
- Fresh Peach Syrup (you can pour this on so many things or eat it with a spoon :))
This pie is a must make during peach season. Fresh peaches are layered into a cooked pie shell, then you make a homemade peach glaze to pour over the top! Amazing! Our Nana made this for Papa every year!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 cups peaches, peeled and sliced (I used 6 smallish peaches)
- 1 cup mashed fresh peaches (I used 3 smallish peaches)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
Here is the info on the pie crust our Nana would make. If you want to simplify you could always use a frozen pie crust from the store as well.
Mix together flour and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pasty cutter of fork. Measure out the 1/3 cup milk then add 1 T. vinegar. Pour the liquid into the flour mixture a little at a time. Gently gather dough into a ball. Roll out dough on a floured board (I like to spray with cooking spray then sprinkle flour) a little bigger than the pie pan. Gently place in pie dish and cut off the excess. Pinch the edges to make look pretty. Bake at 475 degrees for 8 to 10 min. Here is a great blog post on a Bountiful Kitchen for making pie crusts for more info if needed!
Peel and slice the peaches 4 peaches (about 4 cups) then set aside.
In a medium-sized pot, mix together the 1 cup of mashed peach and water. Cook for 4 minutes over medium heat. Add the sugar and cornstarch and cook until clear. It will thicken up and be a nice thick glaze. Remove from heat and add the lemon, salt and butter. Stir until the butter is melted and then let the mixture cool.
Arrange the sliced peaches in the bottom of the cooked and cooled pie shell. Pour the peach glaze over the top. Chill in the refrigerator.
Serve cold with sweet whipped cream if desired. Or vanilla ice cream is good too.