The best classic SCOTCHEROOS – gooey, peanut butter rice crispy treats topped with a smooth layer of chocolate and butterscotch.
Why are these SCOTCHEROOS so good and loved by all?! I think the reason why these are such a crowd pleaser is because you’ve got the rice crispy and peanut butter combo. Then you top it off with chocolate and butterscotch. Oh my. Just SO good.
What ingredients do you need to make scotcheroos? It’s only 6 ingredients and super fast to make, plus no baking required!
- rice crispy cereal
- light corn syrup
- peanut butter
- chocolate chips
- butterscotch chips
These are a classic. But there are a few tips for making them the best:
- You don’t want to boil the mixture. Just mix until the sugar is dissolved! Some recipes say bring to a boil but that makes them way too cripsy!
- A nice thick layer of chocolate on top! Yes that makes them rich but cut them up into small pieces and it will feed a group! And if you don’t want a thick layer of chocolate, haha that is ok too. We can still be friends. You can half the chocolate chips.
- Last little tip, sprinkle on some flakey sea salt. I like Maldons. But any will do. It adds a great touch to all that sweet.
If you make these delicious treats, come back and let me know! I love to hear from you!
Other yummy treats with peanut butter you might like!
Peanut Butter Cookie Cups (these are sooo good!)
Peanut Butter Truffles (melt in your mouth!)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 6 cups rice crispy cereal
- 1 (11.5 ounce) bag chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet)
- 1 (11 ounce) bag butterscotch chips
Line a 9x13" pan with cooking spray or parchment paper. (I like to lightly spray my dish with cooking spray then line with parchment so it stays in place well)
Measure out the peanut butter and set aside. Measure out the rice crispy cereal and set aside.
In a large pot, combine the sugar and corn syrup. Mix over medium-low heat. You want to just dissolve the sugar. As soon as the sugar is dissolved remove from the heat and stir in the peanut butter. Don't let it boil! If you see bubbles around the side immediately remove from heat.
After the peanut butter is combined add the cereal and stir. Once it is all mixed, press it into the baking dish.
In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips according to the package directions. I usually do 30 second increments and stir until smooth. You can also do this over the stove if needed.
Pour the chocolate mixture over the bars and spread until smooth. I like to give it a good shake back and forth to smooth it out! Sprinkle with the flakey sea salt (optional but super good!)
Cut the bars at room temperature, after the chocolate has set up. These are best eaten at room temp. but to speed up the chocolate getting firm you can place in the fridge. Enjoy!
You don't want to boil the mixture. Just mix until the sugar is dissolved!
If you don't want a thick layer of chocolate on top you can half the chocolate chips.