Frog Eye Salad is made with acini de pepe pasta! It has pineapple, mandarin oranges & marshmallows throughout. Plus it can be made ahead, saving you time in the kitchen!
It wouldn’t be a Carling family party with out Aunt Sherri’s Frog Eye Salad! This is a long time family favorite . Perfect for pot-lucks, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, really anytime you need a salad to feed a crowd.
You cook your acini de pepe pasta according to the package directions. They are like giant tapioca pudding pearls. That is were you get the name, frog eye!
Then you cook the pineapple juice, egg yolks, sugar & salt over the stove till thick. Once it cools off, you pour it over the pasta and refrigerate! This is great cause you can do this the day before.
Then the day of, you fold in the cool whip, add the marshmallows, pineapple & oranges and it’s ready to serve!
I love a classic recipe that has stood the test of time. Food and memories. They really do go hand and hand. Tell me it’s not just me ;).
Enjoy! And if you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram. You can also use the #bakedinazrecipe !!!
- 1 (12 ounce) box acini di pepe (can use
- 1 cup sugar
- 1¾ cup pineapple juice*
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks or tidbits, drained
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) container cool whip
- 1 (10 ounce) package mini marshmallows
- 1 cup coconut, optional
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain (I used a mesh strainer so I wouldn't loose any of the pasta). Put the cooked and rinsed pasta in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, pineapple juice, egg yolks, flour and salt with a whisk. Bring to a boil over low heat and cook until thick. Remove from heat and pour over the pasta and combine. Refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, stir in the pineapple and oranges, then cool whip and marshmallows.
Recipe Source: my Aunt Sherri. (This No Fail Fudge comes from her too :)).