A soft oatmeal cookie filled with rolled oats, a little coconut and plenty of spice! Topped with a creamy buttercream frosting for the ultimate treat!
There is a bakery in town (The Sweet Tooth Fairy Bakery) that sells frosted oatmeal cookies. Then a soda shop (it is actually called, The Soda Shop!) opened up and they sell the frosted oatmeal cookies there as well, but with a slightly different frosting. These oatmeal cookies are huge and amazing. And then they went ahead and made it so you can drive thru, get yourself a diet coke (or soda of choice) and a cookie?! Danger!
Anyways, I wanted to try to make some at home. A soft oatmeal cookie with a creamy delicious frosting on top. You can make them big like they sell them at the bakery or just regular “medium” sized cookies like I did in the pictures. Just adjust the baking time to slightly longer if you make the cookies bigger.
For the most part, I always do my cookies on the medium size. Better for sharing cause you get more cookies in a batch!
Piping on the frosting is so easy! Fill your frosting bag and use a star tip. Swirl it around and voila!
These cookies will be love at first bite! For reals. The dark brown sugar & molasses mixed with the spices create the most flavorful cookie! Add in oatmeal and coconut and I’ve died and gone to heaven! They don’t even need the frosting on top, but sometimes, more is better, am I right?! 🙂
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 3 cups flour
- 1½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut flakes
- For the frosting:
- 4 ounces (1/2 a stick) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon clear (or regular) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer) cream the butter & sugars together. Add the eggs, molasses & vanilla, blend well.
- Add the dry ingredients. Flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, cornstarch, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg & coconut flakes. Stir till combined.
- Drop the dough using a medium size cookie scoop on the prepared sheets, about 2" apart (I get 12 cookies per half sheet).
- Bake for 8-9 min. or until just starting to brown on the edges. Don't over bake. You want these cookies to be nice and soft!
- For the frosting: In a bowl (or mixer fitted with the beater attachment) use beaters to beat the cream cheese & butter together. Add the powdered sugar and beat for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and salt and mix into the frosting till smooth.
- To frost the cookies: place frosting in a frosting bag using a star tip. Frost the cookies in a circular motion. You can also just frost them with a frosting knife or any method you prefer.
If you want to bake using convention, keep it at the same temp, just bake for 7-8 minutes not 8-9 minutes.
Recipe Source: I heavily adapted the cookie recipe from these Oatmeal Creme Pie Cookies.