Sausage, carrots, mushrooms, pasta, tomatoes, spinach, onions, & mozzarella this soup is loaded with good stuff!
Oh how I love this soup! My mother in law made it for us about 3 years ago. It was right after I had my daughter and she was staying with us and helping out. It has been a favorite ever since. I love it because it’s unique and full of flavor. It is also filling and my husband loves it! You know when they want to take it to work for lunch the next day they really liked it 🙂
My favorite part of the soup has to be melted mozzarella cheese. Oh my goodness it’s good.
Please add this soup to your menu this week! You will be so glad you did!
A hearty soup full of pasta, sausage, spinach, mushrooms & topped with mozzarella cheese!
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 pound ground italian sausage (I use mild)
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, diced or shredded
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can italian diced tomatoes
- 1 cup mini bow-tie pasta
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 4 teaspoons thinly sliced basil
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, diced
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- Brown sausage in a saucepan over medium-high heat. When cooked, drain the fat from the pan. Then add the onion and carrots. Sauté for 3 minutes or until semi soft. Stir in mushrooms and garlic and sauté another 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large soup pot add the broth, tomatoes & sausage/vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil. Stir in the dry pasta and simmer until cooked (about 7 minutes or according to package directions)
- Add the spinach and cook about 1 minute until wilted.
- To serve, place the cubes of fresh mozzarella in the bottom of your soup bowl. Spoon the hot soup over the cheese to melt. Garnish with fresh basil and parmesan.
- Notes: I like to serve with toasted garlic bread
- Makes approx. 8 cups of soup.
Recipe source: my MIL 🙂