Muddy Buddies are the easiest no bake treat! Made with square rice cereal, topped with peanut butter & chocolate then covered in powdered sugar! It’s a classic everyone goes crazy over.
This classic treat is always a hit! I got this version of the recipe from our Nana’s Cookbook. We love and miss her so much! This was a regular treat at BEACH WEEK! They always kept it in the freezer and it was a perfect dessert while playing card games every night. Plus, it’s so easy, your kids could make it for you! Yay!
Also, do you all call them MUDDY BUDDIES or PUPPY CHOW? I gotta say, I do not like the name puppy chow. I mean, I don’t want to eat something that looks like “puppy chow” ya know?! haha Anyways, it doesn’t matter what you call it, it is SO GOOD!
Ingredients for Muddy Buddies
- Rice or corn cereal squares
- Milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Peanut butter
- powdered sugar
How to make Muddy Buddies
- Put the cereal in a large bowl
- Melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter together in microwave
- Add the vanilla and pour over the cereal
- Mix until the cereal is coated with chocolate mixture
- Divide it into zip-top bags and sprinkle powdered sugar into each bag
- Shake the bags until they are coated with the powdered sugar
Start with 1 cup powdered sugar, add more till desired coverage is achieved
If you like this easy no bake recipe, check out these other desserts!
KEEP IN TOUCH! You can follow me on Instagram, Pinterest & Facebook . And if you make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you, leave a comment and rate the recipe below. Thanks for supporting Baked in AZ!
This classic chocolate, peanut butter dessert is easy and no-bake! Rice cereal squares covered in chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar? Yes, please!
- 1 (13 ounce) box corn Chex (or rice Chex)
- 12 ounce bag milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, salted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-4 cups powdered sugar
- zip top bag
Measure the cereal into a large bowl and set it aside. In a microwave safe bowl, measure the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Microwave for 1 minute then stir. Microwave for 30 more seconds or until mixture can be stirred smooth (stirring every 30 seconds). This can also be done on the stove top over low heat.
Add the vanilla to the chocolate peanut butter mixture and stir. Pour the mixture over the cereal until evenly coated. Put the mixture into 2 large zip top bags. Add a cup of powdered sugar to each bag. Add more sugar if needed to cover.
I like to store this in the freezer, but room temperature is also fine.
- I used half corn and half rice Chex cereal. But either one works!
- You can use milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate. With all the powder sugar coating the cereal, it's plenty sweet with semi-sweet chocolate chips but milk chocolate is yummy too!