This slow cooker sausage & rice recipe is just rice, sausage, chicken & veggies. This is a family favorite!
This is one of my husbands most favorite recipes! It is one that his mom made growing up and whenever I make this he gets excited! He loves him some rice! I wish this was a more photogenic kind of dinner but just trust me. It’s a good one. Plus the leftovers are amazing as well.
With school starting back up, I am all about the easy dinners that can be made ahead of time. The afternoons are so crazy with homework and other activities that having dinner prepared and ready helps so much!
Do I have to use parboiled rice?
Yes. It is important to use parboiled rice for best results. (Such as Uncle Bens)
What is parboiled rice?
Parboiled rice is rice that has been partially boiled in the husk.
Other slow cooker recipes!
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped (or use rotiserie chicken)
- 1 16 oz. reguar ground sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups parboiled rice (like Uncle Bens)
- 6 cups chicken broth (see note)
Cook the sausage in a large fry pan with the chopped onion then drain off the grease. Add the green peppers and celery and simmer till vegtables are soft.
Put the suasge mixture in the slow cooker with the rice and chikcen broth. Cook on high for 1 to 2 hours or until rice is cooked. Fluff and add the cooked chicken and stir till combined.
- I always use water and better than bouillon for chicken broth. It has such great flavor!
- This is great if you have leftover rotisserie chicken to use. Or even leftover turkey from Thanksgiving in place of the chicken.