The first time I ever had these muffins was when I went to the beach with my husbands family. It was actually when we got engaged! (8 years ago this month!) So since I am not laying on Newport beach reading books all day long, I decide to make up a batch of these muffins. We don’t all go to the beach together anymore since there are so many of us now, but when we did, Nana would always make a couple batches of this mix so we could have fresh muffins every morning at the beach house. It was their tradition. And I am so glad they shared it with me!
This mix is perfect to have in your fridge during the first weeks of back to school. All you have to do is scoop the mix into the muffin tins, and bake for 20 min! Easy, peasy! One less thing for you to worry about. And you will feel good knowing your kids had a healthy, filling breakfast.
When they are hot out of the oven, slice into the top and add a piece of butter. It will melt into the muffin and then you are ready to eat!
- 2 cups wheat bran (Bobs Red Mill)
- 2 cups water
- 2½ cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 eggs
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 5 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups All Bran (Kellogs)
- butter (optional)
- honey (optional)
- Add the wheat bran to a large bowl. Bring the 2 cups water to a boil (in microwave or on stove top). Pour the boiling water over the wheat bran and let sit for a few minutes.
- Add the sugar and shortening and mix well. Add eggs one at a time alternating with the buttermilk. Beat well and then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, soda and salt. Add this dry mixture to the wet bran mixture & stir together.
- Last, add the 4 cups All Bran. Stir together just until blended, but don't over stir. Put in a sealed container and refrigerate. Do not stir again.
- When ready to bake muffins, pre-heat oven to 375. Then fill prepared muffin tins with batter almost full. Bake muffins for 20 min. Serve warm, topped with butter and honey if desired. Slice the top of the warm muffins and add a piece of butter in the center. It will melt into the muffin nicely.
- Mix will last 6 weeks in refrigerator.
Recipe Source: Nana’s Cookbook