An easy, no bake treat everyone will love!
Chocolate Scotcheroos have been around for some time now. Kind of a classic easy, don’t have to turn your oven on, need a treat in 15 minutes, kind of treat. But if for some reason you haven’t heard of them, run and make these! I’m serious. They are a cinch to make. Everyones favorite for sure. I remember a few years ago asking our Sunday school class what treat they wanted me to bring (yes, we totally bribed them to be good with treats!) and this was their request. Kids love them, adults love them, I love them and you will love them! (As long as you like, peanut butter, chocolate & butterscotch 😉
This recipe is a little different from the original, chocolate scotcheroos. The base layer is thinner but the top, chocolate layer stays the same. More chocolate always wins in my book!
- ½ cup corn syrup
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 4 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Grease a 9x13" pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the corn syrup and sugar in a large pot over medium heat. Stir until smooth and sugar has mostly dissolved. Add peanut butter, stir until smooth. Remove from heat and gently fold in crisp rice cereal until coated.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan and press until smooth. (I usually coat my hands with cooking spray and press with my fingers)
- Melt chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in microwave (stir every 20 seconds until melted) or over low heat until smooth. Spread melted chocolate mixture over the bars and chill until set.
- Cut into bars and enjoy!
Recipe Source: adapted from the cookbook, The Gathering of Friends Volume 2 (Crispy Peanut Butter Squares)