Did you guys know that April is national grilled cheese month?! To celebrate I have partnered up with Arla Dofino to bring you this totally delicious grilled cheese sandwich recipe! It is a perfect way to use up any leftover ham you have from your Easter dinner too!
This sandwich is great because it will please both adults & kids. My son took one bite and he looked at me and said, “I don’t just like this, I LOVE it!” haha! I seriously love that kid. He loves food as much as I do for sure. And we have very similar taste buds too. I wanted to put a little twist on the classic grilled ham & cheese. I added a honey/djon mustard spread to the sandwich that gives it the perfect amount of sweet without being too strong. Then I put a dash of worcestire sauce in with the butter & diced onion.
The key to a great grilled cheese sandwich is using the right kind of cheese. You want to use something creamy, melty & flavorful. None of that yellow fake stuff! That is why I love Arla Dofino cheese! Arla Dofino cheeses have been traditionally crafted in Wisconsin for more than 100 years. Say what?! Love that. Plus their cheeses are free of added hormones and preservatives, and crafted with quality, natural ingredients. So you can feel good about what you are feeding your family (0r yourself!)
I decided I wanted to try their havarti cheese. You can shred it or slice it or buy it already sliced. It’s up to you but it will all melt the same and create an amazing grilled cheese! Perfect for celebrating National Grilled Cheese Month! (And national Grilled Cheese Day on April 12th) You can find their cheese in the deli section of your grocery store. Arla Dofino is also hosting a twitter party this Wednesday and giving away 2 grand prizes!! The details are below the recipe, be sure to join us!
This is the piece I melted an extra slice of cheese on top of the sandwich. Ya, it was good! Thanks to Aunt Shauna for the inspiration. She said she had an amazing grilled cheese with cheese melted on top of the sandwich so I had to try. You could also broil the cheese on top if using a griddle and not a sandwich press. Don’t have a sandwich press? You totally need one and can WIN ONE this Wednesday (April 8th) by participating in the twitter party! Details below!!!
- 2 slices eureka top seed organic bread
- 2 pieces of ham
- 2 slices of arla dofino havarti cheese (2 ounces or ¼ cup shredded)
- ⅓ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon butter + more for cooking
- dash of worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Heat your sandwich press or griddle.
- Butter the outside of the bread. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced onions & dash of worcestershire sauce and cook till soft.
- While the onions are cooking, mix the dijon mustard and honey together. Spread onto the inside of the bread slices. Then layer with the ham & havarti cheese.
- Top the cheese with the cooked onions and place the other piece of bread on top.
- Cook in the sandwich press or on a griddle. If using a griddle, press down slightly when cooking. Cook until the outside of the bread is brown and the cheese is melted.
- OPTIONAL: You can add a slice of cheese to the top of the sandwich after it's cooked for a bit and press down for a few seconds until it's melted and crispy. YUM! (This is pictured in the post)
Don’t forget to join Arla Dofino, @twopeasandpod, @foodiecrush & ME for the #GOOEYGOODNESS Twitter party this Wednesday (April 8th).
Anyone who participates in the Twitter Party has a chance to win one of two grand prizes: the ultimate Grilled Cheese prize pack, including:
• Le Creuset® Sandwich Press
• Le Creuset® serving tray
• Le Creuset® plates (set of 4)
• Crate & Barrel OXO® Fish Spatula
• Anthropologie Apron
• Year’s worth of Arla Dofino cheese & Eureka! Organic Bread
How the Twitter Party works:
• Login into Twitter on Wednesday, April 8 from 8-9pm EST
• Follow @ArlaDofino, @TwoPeasandPod and @FoodieCrush
• Search for the hashtag #GooeyGoodness
• Join the conversation! Tweet using #GooeyGoodness so others see your comments
Thank you Arla Dofino for sponsoring todays post! I loved trying their quality, natural and totally delicious cheese! Can’t wait to use other flavors in upcoming recipes.