Pumpkin Dump Cake can also be called Pumpkin Crunch Cake. It’s like a pumpkin pie layered with yellow cake mix, pecans & melted butter! Then you top it with fresh whipped cream! Amazing!
We are going old school again today. I have said this before but I just love a good, old, tried and true recipe. Look at this..typed out on a typewriter. Love it! I got this recipe card from my Mom 🙂 Thanks MOM!
Why is it called Pumpkin Dump Cake?
On this recipe it is called Pumpkin Dessert. But it is mostly referred to as Pumpkin Dump Cake or Pumpkin Crunch Cake (it has a nice crunchy top!) Call it what you want but it doesn’t matter, it’s divine. I mean, the name is not super appetizing. The dump part comes from the dumping (more like sprinkling) of the cake mix over the top of the cake.
Ingredients you will need to make pumpkin dump cake:
- pumpkin puree (make sure it’s not the canned pumpkin pie mix, just plain canned pumpkin)
- evaporated milk
- pumpkin pie spice
- a box of yellow cake mix
- chopped nuts (I like pecan)
- butter 🙂
What should I top the pumpkin cake with?
I like some fresh whipped cream! You could use cool whip or even vanilla ice cream. A caramel drizzle would be amazing too.
How do you make the best fresh whipped cream?
I like to beat the whipping cream with hand mixers. Add about 2 T. of white sugar per cup of cream. You can also use powdered sugar.
How to make classic pumpkin dump cake:
- Mix together your pumpkin puree, sugar, eggs, evaporated milk salt and pumpkin pie spice! Easy!
- Pour into a 9×13″ dish.
- Sprinkle on a bag of yellow cake mix, then press down lightly.
- Add nuts on top. I like pecans. You can omit if you prefer 🙂
- Last but not least, pour a cup of melted butter all over the top!
- Bake and enjoy!
MORE PUMPKIN DESSERTS!
Pumpkin Chiffon Pie (so light and creamy good)
Pumpkin Cheesecake Crumble Bars (um, yes please!)
Pumpkin Snickerdoodles filled with cheesecake! (need I say more?)
Pumpkin Sheet Cake (perfect for a crowd!)
Pumpkin Dump Cake is better than pumpkin pie! Plus its super easy to make! It's like a pumpkin pie layered with a buttery yellow cake then topped with pecans and fresh whipped cream! Amazing!
- 1 16 oz. can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (see note)
- 1 15.25 oz box yellow cake mix (dry)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (can use walnuts or omit nuts)
- 1 cup butter, melted (I used salted. If unsalted, add 1/2 tsp. salt)
Spray a 9x13" pan with cooking spray and set aside. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl with combine the canned pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, salt, eggs and pumpkin pie spice till smooth (I used a hand held mixer).
Pour pumpkin mixture in the prepared dish. Sprinkle the cake mix over the top of the pumpkin mixture. Lightly pack it down. Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the cake mixture. Pour the melted butter all over the nuts.
Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until set.
Serve with fresh whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon for good measure ;). Can also serve with vanilla ice cream. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Original recipe added 2 tsp. ginger & 1/2 tsp. nutmeg. Feel free to add whatever spices you like. I was happy with the tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice. I you don't have that you can add: 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1/2 tsp. ginger, 1/4 tsp. all spice.