A pumpkin shaped cream cheese ball that is the perfect appetizer for a Halloween party or Thanksgiving! This is filled with fiesta spice, cheddar cheese, green onion & green peppers!
I recently went to a fun “Witches Night Out” girls night at my friend Ashleigh’s and I brought this cheese ball to share. I said I would bring something savory and it’s pretty hard to find something that isn’t sweet and pumpkin or Halloween related. Cheese balls are a great appetizer and I’m pretty sure most people like them so I thought this would be a good one to try. I altered my favorite cheese ball recipe a little bit and rolled it in crushed cheddar cheese chips to give it that bright orange pumpkin look. The stem is just from the bell pepper so make sure you buy a bell pepper with a cool looking stem for this recipe. To give it the pumpkin “lines” I grabbed a piece of clean yarn and pressed it into the pumpkin. You could easily add a Jack O Lantern face to this if you wanted to. Or keep it simple, whatever look your go for, this is cute and easy and a great savory, festive treat for Halloween or Thanksgiving!
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temp
- 1 (1.1 ounce) package fiesta ranch dip mix
- ½ of a bell pepper, chopped small (save the stem saved for "pumpkin"!)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ¾ cup finely crushed cheddar chips (I used Pringles cheddar cheese chips)
- yarn (for making the lines on the pumpkin)
- Add all ingredients except the crushed cheddar chips to a bowl and mix till combined.
- Shape the cheese into a ball or pumpkin shape and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Place in the fridge till firm (about 2 hours).
- Crush the cheddar chips in a plastic back using a rolling pin till fine.
- Roll the cheese ball in the crushed chips and top with the bell pepper stem.
- Using the clean yarn, press the yarn into the cheese ball starting at the top and make your way down to the bottom. I did this 4 times.
- Serve with crackers, black bean chips, veggies, etc.
If you can't find the fiesta ranch mix, you could sub in some cumin and salsa. I really like the flavor of the fiesta ranch though!
Recipe Source: pumpkin look inspired by Cooking Channel adapted from The Best Cheese Ball.