Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole is a family classic. Easy to make with only 6 ingredients! The buttery ritz crackers are always a favorite in our house.
I will always remember the first time I ate this casserole. It was a staple in my husbands house growing up. I was up visiting him and his family when we were first dating. I had come to go snowboarding with him and spend time together. His mom made this for dinner one night and I can still see my husband throwing his hands up in the air with excitement. It had been a couple of years since he had this favorite meal (he had recently gotten home from a 2 year church mission) so he was pretty excited. This dinner is easy, kid friendly and total comfort. If you haven’t made this before, add it to the menu this week! Did you grow up with poppy seed chicken? Some people call it Ritzy Chicken I’ve been told. Whatever name you use, it’s a good one!
- 4-6 chicken breasts, cooked and cut up
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 1 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 rounds ritz crackers, crushed
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil your chicken and cut up. Set aside.
- Place the ritz crackers in a ziploc bag. Use a rolling pin to crush the crackers till fine.
- In a small bowl, mix the crushed crackers and melted butter together till combined.
- Place half of the cracker mixture in the bottom of a 9x13" pan. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the cooked and cubed chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream and poppy seeds till combined.
- Pour the chicken mixture over the crackers. Top with the other half of the cracker mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.