These homemade sloppy joes are so flavorful! Plus, they are easy to make and your whole family will love them!
Best Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joes are back and better than ever! haha. In all seriousness, I used to think sloppy joes were not good and well, “sloppy”. These are made with mini buns and are full of flavor. We love this easy dinner and you will too!
After I had my 3rd baby my husband’s Aunt brought us dinner. She made these mini sloppy joes and we just loved them! Fast forward to almost 5 years later and I am finally getting around to posting the recipe! It is a delicious, easy and a pretty fast dinner that everyone is gonna love!
What ingredients do I need to make sloppy joes?
(Don’t be turned off by the list of ingredients! I promise it comes together pretty quickly)
- red bell pepper
- ground beef
- brown sugar
- dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- chili powder
- smoked paprika
- apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- hamburger buns, we like mini ones 🙂
Questions & Tips:
- Do I have to add the red pepper? Nope! But I think its a nice flavor and also a nice health benefit too 🙂
- What’s the best kind of beef? We love organic grass fed beef. It’s not that much more (especially if you shop sales!) and I think it tastes better too. Plus there are lots of health benefits. I usually buy ours from Sprouts or Wal-Mart.
- Where do you get mini hamburger buns? I found these at Trader Joes! They are the perfect little size. We love them.
- What can I serve with these sloppy joes? a simple green salad, raw veggies, chips, fries, a potato salad & fresh fruit.
MORE EASY DINNER RECIPES
KEEP IN TOUCH! You can follow me over on Instagram, Pinterest & Facebook. And if you make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you, leave a comment and rate the recipe below.
These homemade sloppy joes are full of flavor! Your whole family will love these sandwiches! Perfect easy dinner!
- 2 tablespoons butter, salted
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped small
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound ground beef, 85% (I like grass fed best)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup ketchup* (I like organic from Trader Joes)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper
- mini hamburger buns (can use regular sized)
Heat a large pot to medium heat. Add your butter. When it is melted, add the onion and red bell pepper and cook till soft and translucent.
Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds then add the ground beef. Cook, breaking up the beef with a meat masher or a wooden spoon. Drain off some of the fat if there is a bunch.
Add the brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and smoked paprika. Stir and cook for 30 more seconds. Add the ketchup and apple cider vinegar and stir. (If you like your sloppy joes with lots of sauce, add 1 cup ketchup and 2 T. vinegar. We like ours less saucy so I reduced these amounts.) Cook for 5 to 10 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm on hamburger buns. We used mini buns (I found at Trader Joes) but regular buns work too! You can keep it on low and continue to cook until ready to serve.
Makes about 6 sandwiches or 8 mini sized.
*If you like your sloppy joes more the on the "sloppy" side, haha. Double the ketchup to 1 cup and the vinegar to 2 T. We like them a little less sloppy so I don't do as much ketchup and vinegar.
Source: I got this recipe from my Aunt Brandi. She brought it to us after I had a baby and I fell in love. The original recipe is adapted from Oh Sweet Basil. I didn’t add the liquid smoke, reduced the amount of butter, vinegar and ketchup and added more onion 🙂
Leave a Reply