Mississippi Pot Roast is a classic slow cooker recipe that has so much flavor but is super easy to make! This will become your new favorite roast!
Most of the recipes that I found for this roast call for a packet or Au Jus. A few called for onion soup packet. I’ve made it both ways and while they are very similar, we prefer the onion soup packet!
Another change I made was to add carrots to the slow cooker and an onion. We love adding an onion when cooking a roast in the slow cooker. And the carrots get a nice almost pickled flavor from the pepperoncini juice and it’s just amazing! Another change I made is I only add in 1/2 stick of butter. Most recipes add a whole stick (or 1/2 cup) but I found that 1/2 a stick is plenty!
Serve with a green veggie or salad & rolls!
Why is this called Mississippi Pot Roast?
I wondered the same thing. In fact, one of my favorite questions to ask is but why? Ask anyone who knows me well. After a movie is over, my husband knows he better be ready for 20 questions. I always have questions (kinda annoying sometimes, even to myself) but I am just a curios individual. I like to know the history behind everything! So if you are interested, here is a link to a post with a little more info on how the recipe became an internet sensation!
HOW TO MAKE MISSISSIPPI POT ROAST using a slow cooker:
- Place the roast into the slow cooker. Lightly spray with cooking spray or line with slow cooker liner.
- Peel and cut up the carrots & onion (if adding one) then place in the slow cooker around the roast.
- Sprinkle in the ranch dressing packet & onion soup packet.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of the juice from the jar of pepperoncini and add 8 to 12 whole pepperoncini peppers.
- Place the butter on top of the roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 4 to 6 or until roast is cooked and falls apart.
- Shred roast and transfer to a platter and serve over mashed potatoes!
Other Slow Cooker Recipes:
Pork Tacos (these have pickled onions on top, so good!)
One of our favorite pot roast recipes! So much flavor. Easy and your family will love it!
- 3 pound roast (chuck or rump are good)
- 1 ounce envelope ranch dressing mix (dry)
- 1 envelope onion soup mix* (dry)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 jar whole pepperoncini peppers (save juice)
- 1 onion (optional)
Place your roast in a 6 quart slow cooker. Sprinkle in the ranch dressing packet and onion soup packet. Add the butter on top.
Peel and slice the carrots into chunks. Place around the roast. Cut up the onion into chunks and place on top of the carrots if using.
Pour in 1/2 cup of the pepperoncini juice around the roast on the carrots. Add 8 to 12 pepperoncini peppers (add as many as you like, I ususaly do 1/2 of a 16 ounce jar because we really like them!)
Place the lid on the slow cooker and set on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 4 to 6 or until roast is cooked through and easily shreds.
Serve over mashed potatoes!
*You can use onion soup mix or au jus mix. I've made it both ways and prefer the onion soup packet. I've even seen a recipe that adds an envelope of zesty Italian salad dressing powder (and the whole jar of pepperoncini with juice!) I have made this with the whole 16 ounce jar, juice and all. It's great but strong, my kids prefer 1/2 cup liquid.
Add as many pepperoncinis as you would like. We like them a lot so I add about half of a 16 ounce jar.
You don't have to add carrots. But it's so good! The carrots have a nice flavor from the pepperoncini juice. Plus it's an easy way to cook another vegetable to go with your dinner!