This old fashioned apple crisp has thinly sliced and perfectly spiced apples topped with a thick crumble topping! It is the BEST!
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
This is the BEST recipe for apple crisp you will ever try! I know that’s a bold statement but I have tried so many recipes and I finally came up with the perfect ratio of apples and crumble topping. Because there is nothing more disappointing that an apple crisp with not enough crumble, am I right?! haha Seriously though…you’ve gotta have enough crisp to go with the apples! And always add vanilla ice cream on top!
What are the best apples to use in apple crisp?
I love using a combo of golden delicious apples and granny smith apples. The granny smith add a nice tartness and the golden delicious apples are still tart but more sweet. It’s the perfect combo!
Best way to slice apples for apple crisp?
The easiest way to slice apples for this apple crisp and for apple pie or just for eating is using an apple peeler! Here is the one I have (aff. link). I am not one to have a bunch of gadgets but I honestly use this often. My kids love apples peeled this way. And it makes this apple crisp so easy to make (almost too easy!) But if you don’t have one just thinly slice the apples into small pieces after you peel the apple. Below is a picture of the apples after I peeled them and then cut into 4 smaller pieces!
How to make Apple Crisp
- First, mix up your topping. Soften the butter then add the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda & powder, salt, & cinnamon.
- Mix together until you have a crumbly texture. Place in the fridge while you make the apple filling
- Then in another bowl, melt the remaining butter. Mix the butter together with the water, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar & salt.
- Peel and slice up the apples. I use this apple peeler (aff. link) and it is THE BEST!
- Add the apples and stir until the apples are evenly coated. Transfer the apples to your dish, add the topping & bake!
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream for the best fall dessert ever 🙂
I am usually a chocolate kind of person but I just love this dessert! The apples & spices just scream fall to me. Apple crisp is my favorite apple dessert and it has been a long time coming of getting this recipe just right! It has lots of crumble topping and the perfect apple filling! You are going to LOVE this dessert!
Check out these other APPLE recipes:
- Caramel Apple Sheet Cake
- Apple Butterscotch Oat Blondies
- Applesauce Oat Banana Muffins
- Hot Buttered Apple Cider
Delicious homemade apple filling and the perfect, thick crisp topping! Finish with some vanilla ice cream for the most amazing fall dessert!
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened (I used salted)
- 3/4 cup oats
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 pounds apples (I prefer 1 pound golden delicious & 1 pound granny smith)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt (I sprinkled with fleur de sel)
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 8x8" baking dish and set aside. (Can also use a 9x9" dish).
In a medium sized bowl, add the softened butter, oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon & salt. Stir to combine until you get a crumb texture. Set aside.
In a medium-sized glass bowl (or microwave safe bowl) melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the microwave for a few seconds until melted. Add the water, brown sugar, white sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg & salt. Stir to combine.
Using an apple peeler, peel the apples then cut up into smaller pieces (see picture above). Or peel the apples with a peeler & slice into thin, small pieces. If you leave the apples too thick they won't be soft enough after baking. Place the cut up apples in the prepared dish.
Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apples.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the top is lightly brown and the apples are tender. If the top is getting too brown before the apples are cooked, cover with foil.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream! Store in the fridge.
- I used a total of 6 small apples. 3 golden delicious and 3 Granny Smith.
Source: Baked in Arizona