This egg casserole can be made the night before saving you time in the morning! It is light, fluffy and full of cheese & diced green chilies for the perfect kick! This is a perfect weekend breakfast!
Breakfast Egg Casserole
This is one of my favorite things to make for a nice breakfast or over the holidays. (ou know, when you feel like serving something other than toast, cereal or a smoothie ;). Serve it alone or along side, bacon and hash browns! It can be made the night before so that is always a plus in my book! I shared the original version of this egg bake a few years ago. This time I added sausage. That is the best part about this, add it whatever you feel like that day, the options are endless.
Tips for making this easy egg breakfast casserole:
- You can use 2% or 4% cottage cheese, I have made it with both! Don’t be put off by the cottage cheese (maybe you’re not, but I know some people don’t like it). It blends together and you won’t t know it’s even in the casserole. It makes it so delicious. Pinkly promise.
- Any cheese will work but my favorite has been monterey jack and mozzarella! Cheddar is always great too.
- Sausage is really great in this as well as bacon or diced ham. I actually prefer it without meat and serve it with a side of thick sliced peppered bacon!
- If you mix this up the night before, just cover it with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge. Then in the morning, bake it!
This casserole can be made the night before. The eggs are fluffy, cheesy and the green chilies add the best flavor! A perfect special breakfast that is easy too!
- 12 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1 pint cottage cheese
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chillies
- 2-4 cups shredded cheese *(1/2 to 1 pound)
- 1 pound breakfast sausage, cooked (optional)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13" pan with cooking spray and set aside. If adding the breakfast sausage, cook it then drain off the fat and set aside.
In a large bowl, whip up the eggs (either with a whisk or a hand held mixer). Add the salt and baking powder and stir till combined.
Add the melted butter cottage cheese, green chilies, cheese & sausage (if using). Stir all together.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. If making the night ahead, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Bake for 35 minutes or until slightly brown on top.
*You can use whatever cheese you prefer. I love monterey jack and mozzarella. Cheddar is great also. Use anywhere from 1/2 to 1 pound (or 2 to 4 cups) depending on how cheesy you want it! 1 pound is extra divine, duh 😉
I actually prefer this with no sausage, but my son loves it with the meat. Either way, you will love it!
If you make this, be sure to tag me on Instagram @bakedinarizona and use the hashtag #bakedinazrecipe so I can see! Also, please come back & rate the recipe in the comments at the end of the post, I love your feedback!