Coconut muffins made healthy with coconut oil and coconut sugar! These are moist and have a rich coconut flavor!
Can we talk about my love for muffins? I’ve said this before but I’m gonna say it again (mostly because I repeat myself way too often but oh well). So I was saying, muffins! I love them. But not if they are dry. Then I don’t even like them. One of the reasons I love them so much is because my husband is a fan. My kids too. They are easy to make, great for on the go and it’s almost like eating a cupcake for breakfast. What could better? (Other than eating an actual cupcake?!) hehe. I like to make them at night, then in the morning breakfast is ready to go! Also, muffins usually freeze well so that’s a bonus if you don’t eat them all up in a few days like we do.
I made these muffins with coconut oil (unrefined, organic) so it gives a great coconut flavor. I took it a step further and used coconut sugar as well. That made them a really pretty light brown color & coconut flavor. You are welcome to use vegetable oil and white sugar in the recipe, but I love the coconut flavor the oil and sugar adds. Plus makes them a little healthier for you too!
I used unsweetened coconut flakes in this recipe. If you only have sweetened, that will work but I wanted these to be a healthier breakfast/after school snack and the unsweetened flakes add the perfect texture and flavor to these muffins!
The recipe these were inspired from added a coconut flavored glaze to the top of the bread. I didn’t do this, but next time I will try it cause it sounds divine. I am always a fan of glaze and frosting. But surprisingly I kept it simple with these muffins. I included the optional glaze in the recipe if you are feeling fancy 😉
If you wanted to turn these into cupcakes, I was thinking that homemade coconut whipped cream would be so amazing on top. I have been dying to try it. Have you made it yet? You just chill a can of coconut cream or full fat coconut milk and whip it up with powdered sugar. So easy right?
A little tip! I have recently started using parchment muffin liners and oh my goodness! Amazing! A new favorite. The muffins don’t stick at all. That means more muffin goodness in you mouth. You’re welcome :). I hope you enjoy these tasty muffins! If you make them, use the #bakedinazrecipe so I can see!! 🙂
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar (may use white sugar)
- ½ cup coconut oil (I used unrefined, organic)
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1½ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (may use sweetened)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- FOR THE GLAZE: (optional)
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, oil and coconut extract together in a medium sized bowl.
- Sprinkle in the flour, soda, salt & shredded coconut. Pour in the buttermilk and fold until just blended (don't over mix).
- Add the batter to each muffin cup & top with additional shredded coconut.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs (don't over bake).
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- Boil the sugar, water and butter for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in coconut extract.
- Drizzle over warm muffins and sprinkle with additional coconut flakes if desired.
Recipe Source: inspired from Shar’s Coconut Bread Recipe in My Favorite Things by Elizabeth Banks (LOVE her cookbook!)