Well it’s Monday and a new year! I think sharing a salad recipe is a great way to start out 2014. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday break. We enjoyed spending time with family and friends. My little guy starts going back to pre-school tomorrow. It has been so nice having no schedule but I think he is ready to get back into a routine – and so is his Mama! 🙂
Every month my family gets together for Sunday dinner and we celebrate the birthdays that month. Last month my sister in law, Jamie, brought this salad. We always have Jamie bring the salad because she is like a salad master! Seriously, her salads are always the first thing to go!
Oranges are in season here in AZ so this is a great salad for anyone that has a tree in their backyard and is looking for a great way to use up some oranges. My grandpa recently gave us a bag of oranges and I had just enough left to whip up this salad! I love the punch of citrus flavor in the dressing.
You could add some grilled chicken to make it a more filling dinner. We had this for dinner and I added homemade croutons. I just love a good salad!
I hope your year is off to a great start! I love a new year and setting new goals. Even though I am not the best at sticking to them all, it’s a great time to reflect and make changes where needed. Eating more fruits and vegetables is definitely on my list! As much as I love baking, I love fresh healthy food to. So I will try to share more of that with you!
Orange Poppy Seed Salad
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups chopped romaine
- ⅓ cup feta cheese
- ½ onion, sliced
- orange, peeled and cut into small pieces
- ½ cup roasted pecans
- 1-2 avocados, peeled & diced
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ⅔ cup salad oil (olive, canola etc.)
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- ¼ onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- FOR THE DRESSING: add all ingredients except the poppy seeds and sugar to a blender or food processor. Blend till smooth. Add the sugar 1 Tablespoon at a time until it tastes right to you. (I used 2 tablespoons) Stir in the poppy seeds. Chill the dressing in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- FOR THE SALAD: Roast the pecans (Bake at 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes, turning once halfway through)
- Wash the lettuce. Chop into bite sized pieces. Peel and slice the onion. Peel and cut up the orange.
- Peel and cut up avocado.
- Place lettuce in a large bowl. Add toppings and finish with desired amount of dressing.
- NOTES: dressing will keep in fridge for one week.