I found this recipe on pinterest. I had some fresh cranberry sauce in the fridge so I thought it was the perfect time to try it out. The recipe says to use fresh or jared cranberry sauce, not canned. If you enjoy the flavor of pears you will really enjoy this sandwitch. My husband even liked it. I did add some turkey slices to his sandwich to make it more filling for him but I loved mine without. We had this for an easy weeknight dinner. The bread I used was just multi-grain sandwich bread. I think these would be even better with a thick slice of sour dough! I will have to try that next time.
- 1-2 pears
- 1-2 tablespoon butter
- 2-3 slices swiss cheese
- 2-4 tablespoons cranberry sauce (fresh or from a jar, not canned)
- 4 slices of bread*
- 2 tablespoons butter for buttering the bread
- First start by caramelizing the pears. Slice the pear nice and thick (about ¼"). Melt a tablespoon of butter over medium heat in a non-stick skillet. Add the pears and turn frequently until you have a nice light brown color around the edges. If it seems like you need more butter feel free to add some.
- Turn on your panini grill. Butter the bread you are using on the sides that will touch the grill.
- Now assemble your panini. Spread the cranberry sauce on the bread followed by the pear slices and cheese. You can add more cranberry sauce on the other piece of bread (I do) if you like lots of sauce.
- Cook on the panini grill until crispy on the outside and cheese is melted.
- Notes: This makes 2 sandwiches. If the pears are big, you may only need 1 pear for 2 sandwiches. It just depends how thick you cut them and how much you want on your sandwich. *Any sliced bread will work or you can use an artisan/rustic bread and cut to desired thickness.
Recipe Source: slightly adapted from The Roasted Root